College & Career Center (CCC) Overview
On March 6-7, 2021, they’re hosting their first makeathon -- the completely virtual InNovathon. Through this flagship event, they will introduce female-identifying high school students throughout the US to a hands-on ideation process where each team elevates an existing product into something more socially responsible. As womxn in business and STEM, the team was inspired to create The Future is Nova and the InNovathon to challenge existing barriers to those underrepresented and outside the norms of corporate innovation.
College Board is hosting our first-ever series of virtual college fairs called BigFuture™ Days. Encourage sophomores and juniors at your school to sign up for a chance to connect directly with college admissions representatives and current college students. They'll have a chance to explore colleges in a way that's not overwhelming, ask questions about topics they want to learn about, and take action on key college planning steps.
Students should register at cb.org/bigfuturedays.Students can attend any event and more than one.
BigFuture Day West + Southwest
Saturday, February 6
BigFuture Day Southeast
Tuesday, February 23
BigFuture Day Northeast
Sunday, March 7
BigFuture Day Midwest
Thursday, March 11
Los Altos Hacks V is a 24-hour virtual high school hackathon taking place on March 20-21. No coding experience is required; there's a place for everyone at our hackathon. Los Altos Hacks will be 100% free, including prizes, swag, mentorship, and much more! For more information, visit www.losaltoshacks.com.
Join our mailing list below to receive updates on Los Altos Hacks V and when to register!
Los Altos Hacks
Mrs G will offer recurring online conferences / Q&A sessions (group setting, so please be mindful that these won't be the right setting for confidential conversations)
for students only, days, time and link to be shared soon
for parents only, all grades, on Fridays from 1-2pm - Virtual 'Coffee & Cookies with Mrs G' time) - please join here:
We have been very actively monitoring college admissions chat rooms and forums and will bring the most up-to-date information to you as we collect it - but please be reassured that the whole country is working together to ensure that our high-schoolers will have the same chance at a great education as everyone else in the past. Although a lot of things are evolving on a daily (hourly?) basis, it is all done in a very mindful and positive fashion, and plans are coming together.
A Collection of COVID-19 Resources from National Educational Organizations
- American Federation of Teachers
- American School Counselor Association
- The Learning Counsel
- National Association of School Nurses
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of Independent Schools
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Alliance for Public Charter Schools
- National College Attainment Network
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Home School Association
- National School Boards Association
- National Science Teaching Association
- School Superintendents Association
The College and Career Center, located in Room 28, provides resources for students and parents in their explorations of post-high school opportunities. We are staffed by one full-time CUHSD employee - Mrs Nathalie Goricanec, our College and Career Specialist, and many parent volunteers and are open every day from 8:30am until 3 or 4pm (hours vary). Our volunteers assist students in locating information regarding in- and out-of-state colleges and universities, in finding SAT and ACT dates and registration information, in discovering scholarship and financial aid opportunities, and by answering questions about the college preparation and application processes. We have dozens of books available for check out including current SAT study guides and popular college guidebooks like the Insider's Guide to the Colleges, the Fiske Guide and the 379 Best Colleges among many others. We also provide resources for students who may be looking at vocational and job opportunities after high school.
We encourage students of all grade levels and their parents to take advantage of our offerings.
To stay informed about news and announcements from the CCC:
- join our Facebook group LonghornsCCC
- follow us on Twitter @LonghornsCCC
- follow us on Instagram at cclhs
- get text reminders on your cell phone with Remind by texting @38df to 81010
- send an email to LonghornsCCC@gmail.com
- join our Leigh Longhorns CCC Newsletter mailing list: http://eepurl.com/c7KRAn
Log into Naviance to do the following:
- see the list of upcoming College visits at LHS
- manage college applications
- manage letters of recommendation
- request transcripts
- learn about scholarship opportunities