|Click on arrow to view flyer|
GSA at Leigh would like to take the week to raise awareness of and celebrate our LGBTQ+ Longhorn community. For today, we would like to focus on how to be an ally. Please CLICK HERE to access the information on the picture below
GSA at Leigh would like to take the week to raise awareness of and celebrate our LGBTQ+ Longhorn community. For today, we would like to focus on how the LGBTQ+ community is represented in the media. Please CLICK HERE to learn more.
GSA at Leigh would like to take the week to raise awareness of and celebrate our LGBTQ+ Longhorn community. For today, we would like to focus on the history of the LGBTQ+ movement in America from the 1940s to today. Please CLICK HERE to explore this information with us.
GSA and ASB at Leigh would like to take the week to raise awareness of and celebrate our LGBT+ Longhorn community. For today, we would like to focus on our collective understanding of the various terminology regarding LGBT+. Words matter, and it is important that as a community, we are informed. Please CLICK HERE to learn more!
Anti-Bullying Awareness Information
Hispanic Awareness and Celebration Week!
Day 1 Information and Celebrations!
Today we celebrate as a community our first day of Hispanic Heritage awareness. Thank you to BBYS for putting this week together. Our challenge to the community today is:
1) Read some of the background information below or by CLICKING HERE to educate yourself on the history of Hispanic Heritage Month in our country.
2) Contribute to our virtual mural by submitting a picture of what Hispanic Heritage means to you by CLICKING HERE!
3) Learn from one of our Longhorn students, who would like to teach us how to make guacamole! CLICK HERE!
4) Get to know some of our staff at Leigh who want to share a bit about their Hispanic Heritage by reading below!
Day 2 Information and Celebrations!
Today is day 2 of our Hispanic Heritage Awareness and Celebration Week! Today, we would like to focus on our students, staff, and community more directly via a series of interviews. Our challenge for the community is:
1) Review the document below for some Spanish vocabulary practice!
2) Take some time to grab some food, and sit back and watch some interviews led by our students. Here is the interview video list:
Day 3 Information and Celebrations!
Day 3 of Hispanic Heritage Awareness and Celebration Week focuses on famous Hispanic Americans. Our challenge for the community today is:
1) CLICK HERE to view a student created slide deck of famous Hispanic Americans courtesy of our Spanish for Spanish speakers class.
2) Test your knowledge of Hispanic American facts by CLICKING HERE
Day 5 Information and Celebrations!
Today is day 5 of Hispanic Heritage Week! Today, we would like to invite everyone to explore some music in Spanish, and view our community mural. You can do this by:
1) Get active on @famleigh IG today as BBYS and Longhorn Natalie does a takeover to explore music.
2) View our mural below (student and staff pictures submitted for what Hispanic Heritage means to them).
This Week, in collaboration with several Leigh Clubs, we would like to celebrate Wellness Week! Here is our Monday celebration. For the rest of the week, click the "click here" link to the right to see what we have planned!
Today, we celebrate day 5 of our DHOH awareness week. Today, we would like to both recognize and thank our ASL teachers, interpreters, and aids. We celebrate you and your continued dedication to our community. Our challenge to the community today is:
- Take a moment to review our week by CLICKING HERE.
- If you have any of the interpreters or aids in your classes today, send them a thank you message via chat or email.
- Finally, take a quick moment to reflect on the information that was shared this week. What is one thing you can do this year to help create a more inclusive environment?
Thank you to our ASL staff:
Today, we celebrate day 4 of our DHOH awareness week. Today, we would like to both recognize and learn from Longhorn Tallulah Hogan, as we ask her what her favorite sign is. Our challenge to the community today is:
- Take a moment to consider joining our ASL Club
ASL signing class is open every Wednesday starting at 12:00.
Remind Code: @leighasl
- Learn Thursday’s sign “Nice to Meet You”
- CLICK HERE for some basic things we can do in our classrooms and in our schools as we plan future events throughout our various school programs
- Meet Longhorn Tallulah Hogan, and learn her favorite sign, the sign for “Dolphin”!
Today, we celebrate day 3 of our DHOH awareness week. Today, we would like to both recognize and learn from some more of our Longhorns, Hawi Shume and Ava Huggett! Our challenge to the community today is:
- Watch THIS INTERVIEW of Hawi and Ava to learn more about who these Longhorns are!
- Learn Wednesday’s sign “How are you”
- Learn some more about hearing loss from the CDC by visiting https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/hearingloss/types.html
Here is what Hawi and Ava have to say about ways Leigh can be more aware/ inclusive of our DHOH community:
DHOH Day Two!
Today, we celebrate day 2 of our DHOH awareness week. Today, we would like to both recognize and learn from one of our very own Longhorns, Chris Herrera! Our challenge to the community today is:
Watch THIS INTERVIEW of Chris to learn more about who he is!
Learn Chris’s favorite sign, “Love” in ASL
Learn Tuesday’ sign challenge...how to sign your own name!
DHOH Awareness Celebration Day 1!
Today we begin our awareness celebration of our Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHOH) community at Leigh. As we go through this week, we encourage everyone to think of ways we can make our school community a more inclusive and welcoming space for our Longhorns, students and staff, who identify as DHOH. Our challenge to the community tomorrow is:
1) Learn about some differences between deaf and hard of hearing by CLICKING HERE.
2) Take the hearing loss simulator on https://www.hearinglikeme.com/hearing-loss-simulator/
3) Challenge Yourself to learn Monday's "Hello my name is" phrase (we recommend a quick Youtube search)...and maybe even use it in one of your classes! It is also in the week at a glance link below.
Want to see the entire week awareness celebration at a glance? CLICK HERE!
Hope you are all doing well! As you know, for part of the Halloween celebration, ASB is organizing a costume contest. This will entail recording a clip of you and your wonderful costume which can either be homemade or store bought! Please send your videos in by October 25th. We will send a poll out for people to vote on their favorites,* so the winners will receive a Doordash gift card!
Reminder of Video Expectations (maximum of 30 seconds):
- Introduce yourself
- Let us know what grade you are in
- Show us your costumes and any details about it that you would like others to know
- Send in your videos to the Longhorn Activities page on Canvas by the 25th
We look forward to seeing all of your videos. Please send any questions or concerns you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org.